Dog Days of Summer Safety – Pesticides

This is the sixth in a series of posts highlighting:

Summer Safety Tips for Pets

Tip #6

Pesticides

What a great pleasure it is for your dog to lay on the grass, catch some rays, have a good roll around and sniff all the pretty flowers.

Dog Days of Summer Safety - Pesticides

Enjoying a sunbath

 

But before putting your paws on that grass, or taking a good sniff of those flowers, make sure they haven’t been treated with fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides or insecticides that are toxic to pets.

 

Dog Days of Summer Safety - Pesticides

Keep the paws off treated grass

 

Just as important, make sure those plants and flowers your dog sniffs are pet safe!

Dog Days of Summer Safety - Pesticides

Make sure those plants and flowers are pet safe!

Have your humans find a safe garden, field or dog park to play and run around on and make sure they wash your paws afterward your adventures.
If you ever suspect your dog has come in contact with, or ingested fertilizers or other toxic solutions, contact you veterinarian immediately!

Always store these products in areas that aren’t accessible to your pets and if you’re uncertain about the use of any product, ask the manufacturer and/or your veterinarian for instructions.

Has you dog or pet ever been exposed to a toxic product, plant or flower? If so, what kind and how did you treat it?

This is a sponsored post to help bring awareness to summer safety in pets.
Please follow and like us:
Instagram
Facebook
Facebook
Pinterest
Pinterest
Follow by Email
Google+
Google+
http://ilovemydogmorethanmykids.com/dog-days-summer-safety-pesticides/
RSS

Author: Kelly Harding & Edie The Pug

Share This Post On

28 Comments

  1. Hugely important post! The safety of our pups, especially when they are so close to the ground is really essential. I will also share, that we always wipe off the under carriage of the dogs and their feet to ensure we’re wiping pesticides away.

    Post a Reply
    • Thanks for sharing that not only is it important to wipe and wash paws, but in addition we should wipe their under carriage as well!

      Post a Reply
  2. OMD, I’m always worried about lawn pesticides. It seems most of our neighbors have gardeners that use pesticides, but thankfully they place signs on the lawn so we can avoid them. Even without signs I can always tell who uses those pesticides, their lawns always look amazing – unlike our lawn, LOL! Great reminder, thanks.
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    Post a Reply
    • We see the signs on neighbours lawns too, but you can’t always trust that a sign hasn’t been taken off or blown away. And I agree, you can usually tell who’s lawn has been treated.

      Post a Reply
  3. Ugh, they sprayed Kol’s favourite lawn at the library a few weeks ago and we were so upset we had to change our walk route. This is such an important thing for pet owners to remember. Last thing I want is my dog rolling in toxic chemicals and then licking it off.

    Post a Reply
  4. A few months ago, they sprayed for invasive species here. I carried Mr. N in and out, washed his paws after going to the bathroom and took him out of the area for walks.

    Post a Reply
    • Good idea carrying Mr. N so he didn’t come in contact with the spray. And very important to wash those paws afterwards!

      Post a Reply
  5. Such a great post – I hate that my neighbors spray and my dogs want to roll in everything all the time. I have to pull them out of grassy lawns and areas that look like they’ve been fertilized. it’s so hard to tell sometimes too and then I’m afraid when they lick their feet!! Thanks for posting about this.

    Post a Reply
  6. Amen and applauding you for blogging this. Always ask when you travel if the outside grass at hotels and what not was treated if you are bringing a pet with you.

    Post a Reply
    • Great point Carol! Ask if grass/fields have been treated outside of hotels where you may be travelling with your pets.

      Post a Reply
  7. This is so important! My mom’s dog recently became sick because of weed killer in the grass. Thankfully, he’s okay

    Post a Reply
    • I’m so happy to hear your mom’s dog is ok! It’s important that people understand the hazards of these products.

      Post a Reply
  8. Very important for all pet parents to be aware of! This is part of the reason we put turf in our backyard – no nasty weed killers or chemicals involved! We clean with all natural cleaners.

    Post a Reply
  9. Pesticides are no joke! We had a human neighbor who nearly died from exposure to them years ago. I have never used them and are very cautious about letting our dogs on lawns even after the signs come down. Thanks for the reminder!

    Post a Reply
    • Oh that’s very scary! We don’t use them either, but some of our neighbours do so we still have to be careful.

      Post a Reply
  10. Edie looks so relaxed lying in the grass! I haven’t had mine get into any pesticides, but my boy Riedi can smell chocolate from a mile away. He’s gotten some several times and I keep the peroxide ready to get it out of him!

    Post a Reply
    • Oh my goodness,chocolate’s no good! Happy you catch Riedi in time!

      Post a Reply
  11. A good thing to keep in mind! I don’t have much grass around me in the city – the good news is I don’t have to worry about pesticides. The bad news is that I don’t have grass! 🙂

    Post a Reply
    • Well there is an upside and a downside to both 😉

      Post a Reply
  12. We have outdoor cats and pesticides is not something I had considered to be a danger (in other gardens) as we don’t use them much ourselves. Food for thoughts

    Post a Reply
    • *blushes* Thanks so much!

      Post a Reply
  13. I’m very careful about using pesticides and herbicides and keeping Magical-Dawg safely away from the risks.

    Post a Reply
  14. I’m so happy you mentioned this, because I never thought of it before!! You see, you learn something new every day!! <3

    Post a Reply
    • I’m so happy you learned something from my post that will help/improve your pets safety! We can never stop learning.

      Post a Reply

Leave a Reply

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

%d bloggers like this: