Dogs in the Workplace
Friday June 23rd is
Take your dog to work day!
Workplaces offer all kinds of benefits and perks to attract potential employees. Itâ€™s not uncommon these days for offices to have a fully stocked kitchen, offer employees flexible work hours, a gym, even rest and relaxation areas. Employers are taking notice of the benefits by allowing staff to bring their dogs into the office, not just one day of the year, but each and everyday!
What are the benefits of dogs in the workplace?
What are the cons of dogs in the workplace?
Benefits of dogs in the workplace:
- Employee moral and productivity is up.
- Decrease in employee stress levels that could result in fewer days off.
- Employees may be open to staying later, putting in longer hours without the added worry of a dog that has been home all day and needs tending to.
- A relaxed and family-like workplace.
- Healthier staff â€“ having to get up from that desk, go outside and have a walk around with their dog.
- Financially beneficial to employees. No added cost of dog walkers or doggie day care fees.
- Happier staff!
- Happier dogs!
- Co-workers and visitors to the business may not be comfortable with dogs.
- Staff or visitors with allergies.
- Workplace environment that is not suitable or safe for dogs.
I’m fortunate that I work from home and can have my dog Edie with me. I donâ€™t have the added stress and worry of making sure someone is available to let her out, take her for a walk, or wonder who will feed her on time. I’m happier, relaxed, and more productive in my job. I canâ€™t speak for my Edie, but Iâ€™m sure she’s more relaxed and happier as well.
My questions to you are:
- Would your decision of accepting Â a job offer be based on whether you could take your dog with you or not?
- Is there anything you would add to the list of benefits or cons of dogs in the workplace?