Hydrate for Health – Importance of Pet Hydration
Summer has officially arrived in Canada!
What does this mean for you and your dog? Time to shake off the wintertime cobwebs, get outside, more trips to the dog park, longer walks, ball and Frisbee catching. As exciting as the dog days of summer are, when temperatures begin to soar we must be cautious and understand that pets require special attention and that includes understanding the importance of proper hydration.
What are the signs of dehydration in dogs?
- Sunken eyes
- Decreased skin elasticity (gently lift the skin on the back of your dog’s neck or between their shoulder blades, it should immediately return to normal position).
- Dry mouth/nose and gums
- Loss of appetite
In a survey conducted by PetSafe® Brand, it was revealed that 66 per cent of Canadians were unaware that lethargy or unusual lack of energy indicates dehydration in their pets.
What can we do to help keep our pets safe from dehydration?
- Ensure our pets have a constant and ample supply of fresh water
- Exercise our dogs in the early mornings and evenings when the summer heat and sun is at it’s lowest
- Never leave our pets in a parked car
- Know your pet’s safety limits. Some dog and cat breeds need to be monitored more closely during hot weather
With the wide selection of water fountains available from PetSafe, it has never been easier to have a fresh water supply that encourages our pets to drink more water and stay hydrated.
Whether our pets are active or calm, one thing is for sure; they require plenty of water to stay healthy and hydrated. With the various sizes and options of pet fountains available from PetSafe® Brand, it’s never been easier for Canadian pet parents to keep their pets from feeling parched and staying hydrated all year round.
You can learn more here about the PetSafe Brand pet fountains, and the many options available to best suit your pets lifestyle.