Top 5 Preventative Pet Health Tips
On this episode of
Vet Chat with Dr. Ryan Llera
On this episode of Vet Chat, Dr. Ryan Llera discusses the “Top 5 Preventative Pet Health Tips” to minimize the number of trips to the vet for your pet, and to help them live a long, healthy, happy life.
You want to keep your pet healthy and so do I! That’s why, with these 5 preventative pet health care tips, you can get a great start at home and help your pets live life to the fullest while reducing the chance of them needing to use sick days from their busy schedules.
Feed Your Pet Appropriately
1) Feed your pet appropriately – Feed your pet an appropriate diet for their current life stage or a specialty diet if they already have a medical condition. Don’t over feed your pets by making sure to measure the portions and feed them only at mealtimes.
Brush Your Pet’s Teeth
2) Brush Your Pet’s Teeth – You brush your teeth twice daily, so why not make time for brushing your pet’s teeth once daily. It only takes 2-3 minutes and if you start them young, they can be trained to enjoy it. Dental disease can lead to problems eating as well as affecting organs.
Flea & Tick Prevention Prevention
3) Flea & Tick Prevention – Those pesky parasites are not only uncomfortable but they can spread disease! Talk with your veterinarian about the safe, effective options that are available to protect your pets from fleas and ticks.
4) Behaviour Training – Seek behaviour training early. Pet mental health is as important as their physical health. Behaviour problems are one of the most common reasons pets are relinquished to shelters or euthanized. Seek help from a trainer who believes in positive conditioning and never uses physical punishment on your pet. Talk to your veterinarian about other pet behaviour concerns you may have.
Annual Veterinarian Examinations
5) Annual veterinarian examinations – Your pet might not be due for a vaccination every year but the annual exam is even more important. A regular annual exam gives your vet a chance to evaluate your pet for problems you might not be aware of. Regular veterinarian annual exams for your pet is the most important thing for a happy, healthy life as preventable or treatable conditions can be addressed before they get out of hand.
Armed with these 5 Preventative Pet Health Tips, you can help minimize the number of trips to the vet for your pets, and help them to live a long, healthy, happy life! But if something seems off, don’t delay having your pet looked at by your veterinarian as they can often get worse without treatment!
A big thank you to Dr. Ryan Llera for providing us with these tips to help keep our pets the happiest and healthiest they can be!
Be sure to follow Dr. Llera for more pet health tips.